python bindings for libassuan

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Fri May 8 21:25:38 CEST 2015

On Fri 2015-05-08 14:57:48 -0400, Ben McGinnes wrote:
> I strongly suspect that wiping the slate clean and writing a "proper"
> Python driven API, as Werner suggested, would've had to be done
> anyway.  Doing all that as C-API modules, however, is a ridiculously
> mammoth undertaking, so in that case something which lends itself a
> little more towards a reasonable development timeframe is far more
> likely.

As you've seen, the approach i took was to make a plausible stab at a
python mapping to the underlying C library via the C-API, and then write
a bit more sensible/pythonic type stuff in python around that core.

> The two options currently under consideration are Cython and CFFI,
> even though neither are part of the standard library.

I don't know anytihng about these approaches, i'm afraid i'm a bit of a
python newbie.

I've looked at SWIG, and agree that the interfaces it produces by
default look scary and non-pythonic for libraries like libassuan.

> At this point I think Python should be well on the way to getting most
> people away from 2.7 and really leaving it just to those few legacy
> deployments that can't shift for whatever reason.  The rest of us can
> enjoy the 21st century.

:)

> I also have your first patch for you if there's somewhere I can push
> it to.  It's not much, just a more pythonic way of specifying the
> homedir in assuan/gnupg.py.  The relevant bits are attached.

Thanks, applied and pushed.

If you send your patches as produced via "git format-patch" (or even
easier, sent via "git send-email") then they're easier for me to apply
directly, rather than sending the log and the patch as separate
attachments.

Regards,

        --dkg