The --use-tor option

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Tue Oct 20 20:11:40 CEST 2015

On Tue 2015-10-20 13:31:58 -0400, malte at wk3.org wrote:
> Quoting Daniel Kahn Gillmor (2015-10-20 16:57:53)

>> > Maybe Kristian Fiskerstrand would be willing to set up an Onion Service for
>> > the SKS-Pool that could be used by default?
>>
>> I don't think this makes much sense -- there are already keyservers that
>> offer hidden services (e.g. qdigse2yzvuglcix.onion), but they are
>> individual keyservers.
>
> Ok. Then let's use that one. My main concern was the DNS resolution
> problem.

Well, that's just one individual keyserver.  If you configure that one
and it dies you've gotta change your settings.  A pool has the usual
advantages of failover, etc.

Given that hidden services have the name bound to the public key, i'm
not sure how you'd operate a hidden service pool without sharing the
associated secret key among all hosts.  Has anyone done any research on
high-availability hidden services?

       --dkg