BSI (DE) contract: preparing evaluation of GnuPG

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Thu Oct 29 15:55:58 CET 2015

Hi Andreas,

On Thursday 29 October 2015 at 14:44:08, Werner Koch wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Oct 2015 09:47, astieger at suse.com said:
> > On the certificate manager side, is work limited to Kleopatra, or was
> > the GNU Privacy Assistant (GPA) considered?

GPA is not subject of the contract.
However most of the work of providing a stricter configuration
and a documentation for evaluation will be on lower levels.
So GPA would potentially also profit.

> The BSI once settled on KDE and thus GPA is of no interest to them.
> Well, except for one project where we could finish a milestone only by
> having implemented smartcard management in GPA (in particular for the
> Telesec cards).

It is a good thing to have one GNU/Linux variant in the contract.
www.gpg4kde.org a few years ago gave a single name to a combination
of products running GNU/Linux.

For completeness: KDE is an initiative that produces a lot of nice Free
Software products. While a lot of people do not use Plasma (the
windows/desktop manager), many more use applications based
on KDE Plattform 4 or the upcoming Frameworks 5 on their favorite operating
system (Digikam on Windows for instance) or window/desktop manager.

During the (separate) Gpg4all contract some work on Kleopatra will done.
We hope to make it more lightweight, easier to hack
by porting it to Qt5 and Frameworks 5.

More details forthcoming in wiki.gnupg.org.

Best,
Bernhard

Intevation GmbH, Osnabrück, Germany; Amtsgericht Osnabrück, HRB 18998
Owned and run by Frank Koormann, Bernhard Reiter, Dr. Jan-Oliver Wagner