exclusive vs. shared smart card access

Thomas Duboucher thomas at duboucher.eu
Wed Sep 2 09:33:02 CEST 2015

Hi all,

First of all, sorry if this response seems confuse as I will try to
answer several things at once. :)

Currently, exclusive access is not considered as a good practice; If the
application that requests exclusive access hang, then the users is
required to cold reset the smartcard, i.e. remove it, in order to use it
again. Shared access is the de-facto way to go.

Even then, exclusive access does not solve everything. Before closing
the channel, the application should also reset PIN states, for instance
by issuing a warm reset. If the application is closed before, then any
other application connecting to the card will have the PIN already verified.

A few weeks ago there was a short discussion on Twitter concerning usage
of PGPCard over NFC in a smartphone and Yubikey setup. The raised issue
was the PIN in the VERIFY PIN command is sent in cleartext over a radio
channel.

The common pattern here is how can we prove knowledge of a PIN over an
unreliable network without requiring to authenticating first with e.g.
an asymmetric scheme using public certification authority?

One of the answer is the PACE key agreement protocol. This protocol
provides mutual proof of a knowledge of a low entropy secret, e.g. a
PIN, during agreement of a strong high entropy secret. It is
already commonly used in smartcard applications such as passports.

PACE is described in:
 - Technical Guideline TR-03111, Elliptic Curve Cryptography, Version
2.0[TR3111], for an introduction of PACE over elliptic curves
 - Supplemental Access Control for Machine Readable Travel Documents
Version 1.01[SAC], for an introduction of PACE for smartcards
Additionally:
 - ISO/IEC 7816-4, for a description of GENERAL AUTHENTICATE

I started drafting a proposal to add PACE support as an optional
replacement for PIN in PGPCard. However, I still have a few questions to
answer before:
 - PACE is *mostly* patent-unencumbered and I still have to sort this out.
 - I am not sure yet if my company would agree me working during my
spare time on the specification of another smartcard application.

Please, feel free to comment on this. I'll give more details tomorrow if
you are interested or have questions on the subject.

Regards,

[TR3111]
https://www.bsi.bund.de/cae/servlet/contentblob/471398/publicationFile/30615/BSI-TR-03111_pdf.pdf
[SAC]