Retrieving a key from a keyserver with gpgme

Leo Gaspard leo at gaspard.io
Thu Sep 10 01:42:46 CEST 2015

On 09/10/2015 12:48 AM, Jeroen Ooms wrote:
> Here is a simplified version of my binding to retrieve some public
> keys from a keyserver:
> https://gist.github.com/jeroenooms/29e203d23afd36a3d113. Not sure if
> this is the best way of doing this. A few questions:
>
> 1) Is there any way I can check if gpg.conf has a keyserver
> configured? Or better: can I set a keyserver in gpgme, rather than use
> the one from gpg.conf (i.e. the --keyserver param in gpg)

As far as I can tell, there is no option for setting a keyserver in gpgme.

I once sent a patch [1] to this mailing list, which has been refused for
not being useful -- maybe it would still work for you, if you can afford
redistributing a patched gpgme, and it being written by an untrusted
used doesn't bother you.

Unfortunately, I was not good at mailing lists at that time, so the
discussion is spread throughout 2012-July to 2012-August... Basically,
you are supposed to use gpgconf to set this.

Searching again in the manuals today, it seems there is still no ideal
way of doing this: you should most likely change the configuration file
before using gpgme -- use [2] on a copied home directory if you do not
feel like modifying the main gnupg configuration file.

Cheers & HTH,

Leo

[1] http://lists.gnupg.org/pipermail/gnupg-devel/2012-August/026879.html
[2]