Steps to enable OpenPGP smartcard support on a new distro

Dimitri John Ledkov dimitri.j.ledkov at intel.com
Thu Sep 17 12:35:09 CEST 2015

Hello,

I'm trying to enable OpenPGP smartcard support in gnupg 2.0.x on
clearlinux.org. It would be useful to have instructions somewhere, at
a low level, how to enable stuff - something like the linux from
scratch book articles.

So far I have:
* gnupg 2.0.x with scdaemon et.al.
* pcsc-lite
* pcsc-tools

I'm guessing I am missing udev rules or smart card definitions.

gnupg --card-status generates messages from scdaemon that there is
unknown error.

The same yubikey operates fine on Ubuntu system as an OpenPGP smartcard.

But I'm failing to trace, what makes it work on my Ubuntu machine vs
clearlinux.org.

Is pcsc-lite required?
Does gnupg required to be configured with some specific options?
Are there udev rules or similar required, that may be missing?

Any help troubleshooting this would be very appreciated.

--
Regards,

Dimitri.
99 sleeps till Christmas

https://clearlinux.org
Open Source Technology Center
Intel Corporation (UK) Ltd. - Co. Reg. #1134945 - Pipers Way, Swindon SN3 1RJ.