The loopback pinentry

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Thu Apr 21 14:25:02 CEST 2016

On Thu, 21 Apr 2016 12:54, patrick at enigmail.net said:

> This is from my point of view a good idea. As GnuPG these days is very
> often used by other tools, this makes it a lot easier for the tool
> developers to actually use the loopback-pinentry.

However, Enigmail should not use that, because TB it is a plain GUI
application.  By not using Pinentry you would present the user a
different interface than other applications and features[1] like GNOME's
integration with the login password won't work.

Shalom-Salam,

   Werner

[1] I pondered to prefix it with "mis-" but GNOME folks have selected
    different trade-offs between security and user experience.