[ame2016] INBOME comments

Neal H. Walfield neal at walfield.org
Wed Dec 7 11:54:23 CET 2016

Hi Holger,

On Wed, 07 Dec 2016 00:29:32 +0100,
holger krekel wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 06, 2016 at 14:54 +0100, Neal H. Walfield wrote:
> >  - When I described INBOME to Werner, he noted that adoption by mail
> >    providers will probably be harder than convincing them to adopt
> >    WKS.  I was initially confused by his statement, because INBOME
> >    only requires that the MUAs be modified.  He then pointed out that
> >    most users use webmail.  I'd be interested to hear about how you
> >    plan to get INBOME widely adopted.
>
> Actually, could you or someone else elaborate a bit on how WKS would be easier than INBOME for webmail MUAs?

AIUI, today, you can encrypt mails using most webmailers using
something like Mailvelope.  But, mailvelope doesn't see all messages,
only those that the user explicitly opens with Mailvelope.  Thus,
without additional help it's hard for something like Mailvelope to use
the INBOME annotations.  With WKS, the webmailers have to provide a
new service, but it is largely self-contained.

:) Neal