Moving the agent's socket to /var/run ?

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Wed Feb 24 03:13:53 CET 2016

On Tue 2016-02-23 12:09:13 -0800, Neal H. Walfield wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Feb 2016 19:50:10 +0100,
> Andreas Metzler wrote:
>> /var/run typically is a symlink to /run. Are per-user
>> subdirectories of /run common practise on other ditributions nowadays?
>> (I only know that Debian does not have them.) Having a default that
>> would not work for most of the users is probably not desirable.
>
> I think Debian has them.  At least my install has them and I didn't do
> anything special.

Debian definitely has them.  they're a good idea, and i'd be happy to
use them.

The right place to try if XDG_RUNTIME_DIR is not available is
/run/user/<uid>/

Is this going to be the new "standard socket" location?  If so, how
should we help people transition who have already been running with the
old "standard socket" location?

    --dkg