Moving the agent's socket to /var/run ?

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Fri Feb 26 04:16:35 CET 2016

On Thu 2016-02-25 12:27:34 +0100, Justus Winter <justus at g10code.com> wrote:
> Quoting Eric Dorland (2016-02-24 04:07:22)
>> As far as I know, they're only create by pam_systemd
>> (http://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man8/pam_systemd.8.html). So Debian
>> does have them, if you're using systemd.
>
> Good catch.  While my Debian/Linux systems do have them in spite of
> using sysvinit as pid 1,

pam_systemd(8) says:

       If the system was not booted up with systemd as init system, this
       module does nothing and immediately returns PAM_SUCCESS.

So if they're being created by pam_systemd, and you are not using
systemd as the init system, either the documentation or the code is
wrong, and a bug should probably be filed.

> neither my Debian/Hurd systems nor my Debian/kFreeBSD system have
> /run/user.

Is there a reason we shouldn't try to add /run/user/$USER to those
systems?  having an XDG_RUNTIME_DIR is quite useful from an OS
perspective.

        --dkg