Moving the agent's socket to /var/run ?

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Fri Feb 26 12:18:59 CET 2016

On Fri, 26 Feb 2016 10:11, neal at walfield.org said:

> I think it would be a good idea to put the sockets in a gnupg
> directory.NA

Well, okay that should not be a problem, a socket name with a
non-default GNUPGHOME would be in its longest form mlike

/var/run/user/65535/gnupg/S.gpg-agent-1234567812345678

and thus short enough for a socket.  Well, unless $XDG_RUNTIME_DIR is
too long.

> At least v2.0 and v2.1 are not supported together, so that scenario
> shouldn't be a problem.  To support an old v1.4 with a new v2.1, we
> could use assuan's socket redirection hack.

1.4. does not use libassuan and thus socket redirection does not work.
Simply trying to use the /run /var/run etc. is not too complicated.

Salam-Shalom,