difference in key import counting between GnuPG 1.4 and 2.1

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Wed Jan 27 12:54:44 CET 2016

On Tue, 26 Jan 2016 17:30, dkg at fifthhorseman.net said:

> I believe that gpg 2.1 is counting some of the keys multiple times (once
> per subkey?) , but (for example), i'm not sure why it would claim 3
> secret keys read and 2 secret keys imported, while 1.4 just say 1 in
> each category.

Indeed, secret keys are counted in a different way in 2.1.  We count the
secret keys parts which are sent to the gpg-agent - this is done subkey
by subkey and thus we count subkeys.

So you imported 3 primary or subkeys but only 2 of them are new.
According to the code the other might be ausbkey - but you don't have
one.  I need to replicate your case.  Stay tuned.

I think the information about the secret subkeys is interesting but
clearly this is messing up the count.

Shalom-Salam,