launching GnuPG daemons from the system session manager

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Wed Jul 13 16:51:07 CEST 2016

On Wed, 13 Jul 2016 14:10, dkg at fifthhorseman.net said:

>  * systemd can start up a daemon at login time; if you use gpg-agent for
>    ssh before you ever use gpg, gpg-agent will not be automatically
>    launched for you by any GnuPG tool if you are only manually invoking

You don't need to have systemd for this.  A simple "gpgconf --lauch
gpg-agent" in your login script does the same.

>  * systemd can also safely shut down the daemons when the user finally
>    logs out.  GnuPG has no explicit support for cleanup/destruction of
>    running daemons, since it doesn't know when the user is logging out.

You can do the same in .xesssion or another logout script.  It is a bit
more complicated but Unix has all the tools to do that.  And you have
full control on how to do that.

I don't want to start another systemd discussion here.  Those who like
that windowsiation of our precious Unix software, shall go for it.

Salam-Shalom,

 /* Join us at OpenPGP.conf  <https://openpgp-conf.org> */