python bindings for gpgme

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Mon Jun 6 23:31:45 CEST 2016

On Mon 2016-06-06 11:20:47 -0400, Justus Winter wrote:
> What ideas?  I'm tired of "make it more pythonic" with noone having a
> clear idea what that actually means.  I fear that it means something
> different for everyone.  So until someone here actually provides a
> constructive critique of the current pyme API, I'm going to sand-off
> the edges that would annoy me the most.
>
> For example, one can now just use file objects everywhere a
> gpgme_data_t object is expected (in most cases):
>
> http://git.gnupg.org/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=gpgme.git;a=blob;f=lang/python/tests/t-idiomatic.py;hb=HEAD#l28
>
> I plan to extend this to every object implementing the buffer
> interface.  I also want to provide the compound operations, and work a
> little on the documentation.

All this is very much appreciated, Justus.  As the co-maintainer of a
downstream (https://packages.debian.org/assword) that depends on
python-gpgme, i'd be happy to convert it to pyme going forward if it
will have good documentation and sanded-off edges :)

When pyme is ready for python3 in debian, i can take a look at assword's
(relatively basic) use and see what (if anything) might need to be
adjusted in either project to make it work cleanly.

Regards,

         --dkg