Request for Discussion: new/PubKeyDistributionConcept/FallbackServer

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Tue Jun 14 17:14:27 CEST 2016

On Tue, 14 Jun 2016 15:29, neal at walfield.org said:

> So, no, WKD is not add a "medium" amount of validity to the key.  In

I fully agree.

> Note: it would be possible to save this scheme if we augmented WKD
> with something like Coniks [1], but Werner doesn't like this, because
> it adds complexity and will take too much time to implement and we

Nope, I like it but know how hard it will be to deploy certificate
transparency for offline protocols out of the blue.

First things first: we need to tackle the problem that keyservers are
not anymore useful to find the key for a given mail address.  Thus we
need to _deploy_ a system for reliable key discovery.  Then, while the
TLAs are busy locating budgets for mass intrusion into computers, we
start to deploy a monitoring system to detect malicious mail providers.
And we need to hope that on the political edge data sabotage by TLAs
will be prevented.

Shalom-Salam,

    /* EFH in Erkrath: https://alt-hochdahl.de/haus */