Moving the agent's socket to /var/run ?

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Fri Jun 17 00:41:56 CEST 2016

On Wed 2016-06-08 09:29:13 -0400, Werner Koch wrote:
>     To cope with non standard homedirs (via GNUPGHOME or --homedir) the
>     SHA-1 hash of the homedir is computed, left truncated to 120 bits,
>     zBase-32 encoded, prefixed with "d.", and appended to
>     "[/var]/run/user/$(id -u)/gnupg/".

Out of curiosity, how will this value be calculated if any of the
filesystems along the path to --homedir are case-insensitive?  will
there be any attempt in that case to normalize the case of the input to
the hash function, or will it be treated as a raw bytestream?

doesn't matter much for my own use, but it occurs to me that if there
are people on platforms (like Mac OS, iirc) or on filesystems (like
FAT32) where case-insensitivity is the norm, it's conceivable that two
different processes could be accessing the same --homedir but use
different agent socket paths.

          --dkg