libgpg-error: Replace syscfg

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Mon Mar 21 10:11:01 CET 2016

On Sun, 20 Mar 2016 23:06, joerg.krause at embedded.rocks said:

> The current mechanism of running gen-posix-lock-obj on a remote target
> for unsupported architectures is not suitable for building libgpg-error
> with Buildroot.

I don't know what Buildroot is but in any case gen-posix-lock-obj is
just an example and you can of course also come up with the required
snippet by other means.  It usuallay depends only on -lc and -lpthread.

> I had a look on gen-posix-lock-obj and I am quite sure the logic can be
> put into gpg-error.h itself. All necessary information are available at

This would make it a part of the ABI which we do not want.  The whole
point with syscfg is to guarantee a stable ABI of libgpg-error so that
an internal change to libgpg-error does not introduce a long chain of
required ABI changes to all software dependent on libgpg-error.

So, this is a one time effort for a new platform which I think is
justified.  Recall that a new platform also requires updates
config.{sub.guess} and more.

Salam-Shalom,