A new test framework: request for comments and testing

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Wed May 4 15:28:44 CEST 2016

On Wed,  4 May 2016 09:38, bernhard at intevation.de said:

> and I share that concern of a higher barrier.

Not really; only for those who are used to write tests for GnuPG - not
that many ;-)

> * No good documentation, no tutorial.

The Wizard Book (SICP) is an excellent tutorial and generations of
hackers have grown up with it.

> * Small community, often not well maintained.

The Scheme community small - my experience is different (see above)

> * Lacking functions and libraries.

Right, I want the test framework to be part of GnuPG proper and not rely
on some external stuff.  We do not need more than what we can expect on
a standard pre-POSIX Unix system.

> So why not using a small-footprint interpreter for a more popular language?
> Lua may be a candidate.

Yet another fashionable language - too large.

> Personally I would not mind using a larger popular language for testing,
> like Python. To me clarity and approachability of the language would be more

We considered to use Guile as a full fledged Scheme system but for
obvious reasons we can't include it in GnuPG.

> It would be cool to have a wiki.gnupg.org page with instructions how
> to test this.

"make check" as always.

Salam-Shalom,