Web Key Directory (dealing with subaddressing?)

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Tue May 17 15:07:37 CEST 2016

More thoughts on
http://git.gnupg.org/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=gnupg-doc.git;a=blob;f=misc/id/openpgp-webkey-service/draft.org

 145 all upper-case ASCII characters in a User ID are mapped to lowercase.
 146 Non-ASCII characters are not changed.
 147
 148 The so mapped "local-part" is hashed using the SHA-1 algorithm.

What about the common pattern of subaddressing?

From https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5233.txt

| One common way of encoding
|   'detail' information into the local-part is to add a 'separator
|   character sequence', such as "+", to form a boundary between the
|   'user' (original local-part) and 'detail' sub-parts of the address,
[..]
|   Typical uses of subaddressing might be:
|
|   o  A message addressed to "ken+sieve at example.org" is delivered into a
|      mailbox called "sieve" belonging to the user "ken".

Because it depends on the server how and if it interprets the local-part,
I think there is merit in letting the server decide, how to treat it.
We could just use the URL to transfer the full address or
/domain-part/local-part and then have the server decide.

Best Regards,
Bernhard
--
www.intevation.de/~bernhard   +49 541 33 508 3-3