AW: Web Key Service server lookup

Jürgen Schäpker Juergen.Schaepker at giepa.de
Tue Nov 1 12:49:59 CET 2016

Hi Bernhard,

>However the problem is that we'd need a TLS certificate for the subdomain.
>That is even harder than getting a TLS cert for the example.org domain,
>so it does not seem to be a good solution.

I would think this is usually solved by wildcard certificates.

Regarding the lookup proposed solution:
One idea would be to allow parallel lookups and using the results retrieved by priority when the timeout expired and the highest priority (WKD) did not deliver anything before timeout. I'd think timeout could be limited to a (user-customizable) low value like e.g. 20 seconds, maybe more for mobile.

Another potential issue in the draft: the domain-part seems to be taken from the request URL. In a number of hosting configurations, e.g. via reverse proxy, the request URL might by default be rewritten (though in some configurations it might be recoverable from X-Forwarded-Host header). In case the original requester host cannot be determined, this would create potential collisions on WKDs answering for multiple domains, e.g. it couldn't discern the hashes for joe at for.com and joe at bar.com.

Wouldn't it be better if the hash was calculated for the full email address?

Best regards,
JS