Web Key Directory handling of IDN

Peter Lebbing peter at digitalbrains.com
Fri Nov 4 20:15:14 CET 2016

On 03/11/16 10:48, Jürgen Schäpker wrote:
> the current draft currently does not appear to handle possible issues
> with IDN addresses, specifically there is no definition if only
> punycode domain names are to be used by client search requests or if
> UTF8 is allowed for lookups.

Can you give a concrete example along with the point where you observe
ambiguity? I believe that internationalised e-mail just uses UTF-8 on
most of the higher layers. I don't believe MUAs even need to deal with
IDN, they just use UTF-8. And WKD seems to work as interacting MUA's and
static HTTPS URLs. So I'm not quite following where the problem comes
in. You send a mail to an UTF-8 address. You receive a reply on an UTF-8
email address, and so on, and the URL for key retrieval doesn't actually
contain the domain name, so there is no problem with the domain name
there either.

HTH,

Peter.