gpg 2.1.15, *no* keyservers found for submit/recv, "DNS query returned an error or no records: No such domain (nxdomain)"

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Wed Oct 12 06:20:52 CEST 2016

On Tue 2016-10-11 10:21:40 -0400, lists at ssl-mail.com wrote:
> What specific additional diagnostic info from my end can help with a fix?

can you try capturing a trace of all DNS packets (udp port 53) that come
out of your machine during this query?

For example, something like (untested, please use with caution):

   gpgconf --kill dirmngr
   sudo tcpdump -s 1024 -w dns-from-dirmngr.pcap 'udp port 53' &
   gpg --recv 0x0EE5BE979282D80B9F7540F1CCD2ED94D21739E9
   kill %1

(or just do the "sudo tcpdump" from a separate shell with the
appropriate privileges at the right time)

You should be able to examine that .pcap file with wireshark or tshark
to see what queries are going out at what times.  If you're not sure how
to make sense of it, you can send me the created .pcap file either
privately (please encrypt to my OpenPGP key, fingerprint in the example
above) or publicly (to this list if you're convinced there's nothing you
need to hide in there and it's not insanely large).

hth,

     --dkg