begging for pyme name change

Vinay Sajip vinay_sajip at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Oct 18 00:01:17 CEST 2016

Dear Daniel,

>> The bindings-to-C and wrapper-over-gpg models are both useful in

> … i'm not sure i'd reach this conclusion in the abstract.

I chose to adopt the wrapper approach because the other approach was just too hard to get working on Windows, and didn't offer all the functionality the executable did. Can we be sure that's no longer the case? Windows does seem a poor relation (for example, no separate builds of just gpgme.dll seem to be available, no support for compilation with Visual Studio toolchains, just gcc, and so on).

> This is something for the upstream GnuPG team to wrestle with too -- how do we make it easy for people to use GnuPG in a reliable way from other programs?  It hasn't been as easy as it should be.
For me, it's always been about ease of use across POSIX and Windows. I don't believe an endorsement by the GnuPG team of any project as the "blessed" way of interacting will be enough to swing many users over from one project to another, unless ease of use is reasonably comparable. I even use gpg 1.x in preference to gpg 2.x in some contexts because gpg 2.1 makes it harder to avoid confusing-to-the-user pinentry popups without end-users having to tweak their GnuPG configuration (there might be some way I've missed, but Googling hasn't helped). It's certainly possible for GnuPG upstream changes to make it harder to use the wrapper approach (which is why I can't easily see a way to support 2.1 properly in all respects, much as I'd like to).

> And, thanks for your ongoing work on python-gnupg

You're very welcome. I think GnuPG is a great tool to have at our disposal, and I hope that its Python story keeps on improving.

Regards,

Vinay Sajip