Using loopback pin entry with GnuPG 2.1

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Mon Oct 24 09:09:59 CEST 2016

On Thu, 20 Oct 2016 18:56, vinay_sajip at yahoo.co.uk said:
> $ cat ~/.gnupg/gpg-agent.conf
> allow-loopback-pinentry
>
> After creating this file, I logged out and logged in again. When I run

Sending a HUP (or "gpgconf --reload gpg-agent") would be sufficient to
enable the option.  Adn with 2.1.12 --allow-loopback-pinentry is anyway
the default.

> gpg: setting pinentry mode 'loopback' failed: Not supported
> [GNUPG:] ERROR set_pinentry_mode 67108924

  $ gpg-error 67108924
  67108924 = (4, 60) = (GPG_ERR_SOURCE_GPGAGENT, GPG_ERR_NOT_SUPPORTED) \
                     = (GPG Agent, Not supported)

gpg tells gpg-agent about the requested pinentry mode using an Assun
OPTION command.  This command errors out with the above error.  To see
what's going on, I suggest to enable logging for the agent.  The best
way to do this is by running

  watchgnupg --force /home/foo/.gnupg/S.log

in a second terminal and add this to gpg-agent.conf:

  log-file socket:///home/foo/.gnupg/S.log
  verbose
  debug ipc

The kill the agent you will see all commands send to the agent in the
second terminal.

Shalom-Salam,