Web Key Service draft requires binary representation keys

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Wed Oct 26 19:11:52 CEST 2016

On Wed, 26 Oct 2016 16:00, Juergen.Schaepker at giepa.de said:

> Is there a specific reason why the (possibly problematic) binary representation was chosen? Why not ASCII armored keys instead?

HTTP handles binary data just fine.  There is no need to encode it.

In contrast, when sending a key to the server we use mail.  The PGP/MIME
standard requires an ASCII armored key.  This requirement is sound
because mail is not 8 bit clean and sone kind of encoding would anyway
be needed.  So instead of using MIME's Base64 the PGP/MIME spec
unfortunately demands the use of the Base64 variant from OpenPGP.

Salam-Shalom,