gpg 2.1.15, *no* keyservers found for submit/recv, "DNS query returned an error or no records: No such domain (nxdomain)"

Phil Pennock gnupg-devel at spodhuis.org
Thu Oct 27 08:18:48 CEST 2016

On 2016-10-26 at 22:54 -0700, lists at ssl-mail.com wrote:
> > getinfo version
> 	D 2.1.15
> 	OK
> > keyserver --help
> 	S # Known schemata:
> 	S #   hkp
> 	S #   hkps

[...]

At this point, I'm grasping at straws.  "It works for me"(tm).  (I'm one
of the keyserver operators with an interest in this working).

The only thing which comes to mind is a vague recollection that adns
parses some things from /etc/resolv.conf in a different order to the
"usual" resolver libraries ... my memory says "search and domain"
getting stomped upon, but perhaps also trying available nameservers
differently (round-robin instead of the usual first-to-succeed)?

Check if all the nameservers in /etc/resolv.conf are functioning
correctly?  Including if some are only available in certain VPN
configurations?

Beyond that, stumped.

-Phil