gpg 2.1.15, *no* keyservers found for submit/recv, "DNS query returned an error or no records: No such domain (nxdomain)"

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Thu Oct 27 15:52:12 CEST 2016

On Wed 2016-10-26 20:48:10 -0400, lists at ssl-mail.com wrote:
> instead of polluting the bug report with noise, I'll keep my response
> here.

It's not polluting the bug report to provide relevant data. :)

> When I try tro reproduce your tests, I'm still getting the "No
> keyserver available" biz, but not seeing all the other detail you do.

You haven't bothered to show a packet capture of all DNS traffic during
this process.  Can you do so?

In particular, if your nameserver is 8.8.8.8 you should be able to do
this with:

   tcpdump -s 0 -w dirmngr-dns.pcap host 8.8.8.8

And then run the test sequence.

Once the test sequence is done, hit ctrl-c in the terminal that is
running tcpdump.

if you are concerned that there is private data in the captured file,
and you don't want to post it publicly, but you're willing to share it
with me, you can mail it to me using key
0x0EE5BE979282D80B9F7540F1CCD2ED94D21739E9 and i'll take a look at it
with you.

As it stands, i am unable to reproduce the behavior you're describing.

   --dkg