gpg 2.1.15, *no* keyservers found for submit/recv, "DNS query returned an error or no records: No such domain (nxdomain)"

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Thu Oct 27 16:13:17 CEST 2016

On Thu 2016-10-27 10:02:21 -0400, lists at ssl-mail.com wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 27, 2016, at 06:52 AM, Daniel Kahn Gillmor wrote:
>> You haven't bothered to show a packet capture of all DNS traffic during
>> this process.  Can you do so?
>
> Minor confusion here ... how is what you're looking for now different than the packet grab you looked at here:
>
> https://lists.gnupg.org/pipermail/gnupg-devel/2016-October/031804.html

It might well be the same packet grab, but we're not seeing the same
behavior.

You're seeing dirmngr make a single query for an SRV records, and then
giving up when NXDOMAIN comes back.

I'm seeing dirmngr make a single query for an SRV record, and then when
an NXDOMAIN comes back, following up with an A record request.

I have no idea why you're seeing different behavior than i'm seeing.

  --dkg