Stop gpg-agent after inactivity time

A.L.E.C alec at alec.pl
Sun Sep 4 13:09:06 CEST 2016

Hi! I think I saw a ticket about this, but can't find now. I'd like to
add my vote for such a functionality. It would be really wanted on
server systems with a lot of virtual users (homedirs).

As a Roundcube webmail developer I see interest in server-side
encryption capabilities. That's what Enigma plugin for Roundcube does. I
know that storing secret keys on servers is not the best solution, but
there are people that accept this.

I successfully ported our code from GnuPG 1.x to 2.1 using "pinentry
loopback mode", however gpg-agent still is in use. Problem is that I can
have hundreds/thousends homedirs in such a case I'll end up with
hundreds of gpg-agent processes.

Would it be at all possible to implement automatic stopping of gpg-agent
when it is not used? It could be with gpg command line argument. E.g. if
gpg-agent was started automatically by gpg --agent-auto-stop command it
will exit 1 minute after last use.

--
Aleksander 'A.L.E.C' Machniak
Kolab Groupware Developer         [http://kolab.org]