Using Scute with a 4096-bit key and TLSv1.2?

Damien Goutte-Gattat dgouttegattat at incenp.org
Wed Sep 28 17:13:30 CEST 2016

On 09/28/2016 04:08 PM, Werner Koch wrote:
> Damien: What do you think, shall I do a release?

I think it's a good idea.

The last tarball release of Scute dates back to 2010. There has not been
many changes since then, but some of them are very useful.

Most importantly, the support for hash functions other than the
TLS-specific "tls-md5sha1" was added by Justus at the end of 2015
(commit e22c8cf). This is a very significant change, as it both allows
Scute to be used with TLS 1.2, and also brings support for S/MIME mail
signing. In my opinion, that change alone is worthy of a new release.

Other interesting additions include support for 4096-bit keys (commit
7346eab) and a fix for a randomly occuring signing bug (commit dd7cf6c).

Looking at the TODO file and the FIXMEs in the code, I don't think there
is anything that would need to be done before a new release. I wanted to
implement C_Decrypt, but I don't know when I will have the time to do it
(possibly never, to be honest), and I don't think we have to wait for
that feature.

The README file and the manual are up-to-date with the recent changes.
Do you want me to update the NEWS file prior to the release?

Cheers,

Damien