Unknown algorithm 22

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Mon Apr 3 09:05:11 CEST 2017

On Sun,  2 Apr 2017 02:16, gnupg-devel at gnupg.org said:

> I thought this was just a bug in my code, but gpg –list-packets also
> shows unknown algorithm 22 (and in Werner’s case, unknown algorithm 18
> as well – altho that is supposedly EC – I guess gpg 2.0.30 doesn’t

Right we are a bit faster than the specs.  The OpenPGP WG agreed on
using 22 for EdDSA in mid 2014.  The draft-koch-eddsa-for-openpgp-00
specified the algorithms; meanwhile superseded by
draft-ietf-openpgp-rfc4880bis-01.  Hre is the current list:

    +-----------+----------------------------------------------------+
    |        ID | Algorithm                                          |
    +-----------+----------------------------------------------------+
    |         1 | RSA (Encrypt or Sign) [HAC]                        |
    |         2 | RSA Encrypt-Only [HAC]                             |
    |         3 | RSA Sign-Only [HAC]                                |
    |        16 | Elgamal (Encrypt-Only) [ELGAMAL] [HAC]             |
    |        17 | DSA (Digital Signature Algorithm) [FIPS186] [HAC]  |
    |        18 | ECDH public key algorithm                          |
    |        19 | ECDSA public key algorithm [FIPS186]               |
    |        20 | Reserved (formerly Elgamal Encrypt or Sign)        |
    |        21 | Reserved for Diffie-Hellman                        |
    |           | (X9.42, as defined for IETF-S/MIME)                |
    |        22 | EdDSA [I-D.irtf-cfrg-eddsa]                        |
    |  100--110 | Private/Experimental algorithm                     |

Right GnuPG 2.0 does not support them.

Shalom-Salam,