using two inotify sockets

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Mon Aug 7 17:04:56 CEST 2017

On Mon,  7 Aug 2017 09:23, dkg at fifthhorseman.net said:

> It's not clear to me what the advantage is of having two inotify sockets
> instead of having a single inotify socket which is watching multiple
> locations.

 - First, because it is easier to implement and is less likely to break
   working things.

 - Second, inotify may fail in certain cases.  In particular for the
   socket removal detection we need to read the events
   (gnupg_inotify_has_name) and that is not fully free of races on the
   kernel level.  OTOH, the homedir notification is much easier.  There
   will be only one event and so we immeditely know when the directory
   has been removed.

Shalom-Salam,