keygrip format [was: Re: GnuPG 2.1.x and 2.2.x keyring formats]

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Thu Dec 7 21:40:41 CET 2017

On Thu 2017-12-07 19:57:48 +0100, Werner Koch wrote:
> On Thu,  7 Dec 2017 16:52, gnupg-devel at gnupg.org said:
>> I'm asking these questions because I have a C# email library that
>> uses Bouncy Castle for OpenPGP support that I'm trying to make
>> interoperable with GnuPG as much as I can.
>
> Hmmm.  I can't give an offical guarantee that the format will always be
> the same.  The keygrip is computed by a function in Libgcrypt.

Can you guarantee that the keygrip will remain stable?

Given that gpg-agent addresses the keys by keygrip, for interoperability
purposes i think we need to commit to an official guarantee about
keygrip calculation, and it ought to be publicly stable.

keyformat.txt says:

>>>    [2] The keygrip is a unique identifier for a key pair, it is
>>>    independent of any protocol, so that the same key can be used with
>>>    different protocols.  PKCS-15 calls this a subjectKeyHash; it can be
>>>    calculated using Libgcrypt's gcry_pk_get_keygrip ().

But RSA has made it much harder to find copies of the PKCS-15 standard
these days, and it hasn't made it through to the IETF yet, afaict.

However, it looks like there's a copy here:

    http://tjscott.net/pki/pkcs/pkcs15.pdf

which says:

Is that worth documenting explicitly?

fwiw, RFC 2459 has been superceded (twice!) and RFC 5280 is now the
preferred recommendation from the IETF.  Its recommendations for
generating key identifiers is here:

   https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5280#section-4.2.1.2

it recommends digesting the ASN.1 "BIT STRING subjectPublicKey", which
is more than just the public key modulus or the ECPoint X coordinate,
and has the advantage that two keys of different formats will not have
colliding keygrips.

Right?  Using the mechanism defined in PKCS-15, what prevents an RSA key
from having the same keygrip as an ECC key?

     --dkg