cv25519 subkey problems for some combinations (was: pubkey_encrypt failed: Provided object is too short (with 2.1.11 and Werner's new subkeys))

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Thu Feb 23 14:25:20 CET 2017

Am Freitag 06 Januar 2017 09:51:06 schrieb Bernhard Reiter:

> > I know that this combination is old and probably superceded by a better
> > one. (This is why I've pointed it out in two places of my post.)
>
> I've got a report that GnuPG 2.1.13 with libgcrypt 1.6.6 on Fedora 25
> also has this problem that it believes to have the ability to cope with
> the sub  cv25519 encryption key, but fails to compute the keygrip.
> Leading to an unspecific general error.

In addition the version for Ubuntu LTS/14.04 has the problem in a slightly
different variant:

gpg: Ohhhh jeeee: can't encode a 256 bit key in a 0 bits frame

As this is with a stable production GNU/Linux distribution, maybe it makes
sense to come up with a patch and report this to Ubuntu.

This I've created
https://bugs.gnupg.org/gnupg/issue2974

Bernhard