test failure on git master with decrypt-session-key.scm (and: continuous integration?)

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Tue Feb 28 20:56:13 CET 2017

On Sun, 26 Feb 2017 09:42, dkg at fifthhorseman.net said:

> effa80e0b5fd8cf9e31a984afe391c2406edee8b ("gpg: Emit new status
> DECRYPTION_KEY") introduces the failure, probably because gpg is now

Am sorry for that.  I was working on a nasty regression we had in
Windows over the last week and weekend and obviously forgot to run the
"make check" before pushing (or I only tested it manually on Windows).

I implemented that feature only because I required a break from getting
setup looking with insufficient tools on the Windows problem for too
long.

Fortunately the Windows problems was fixed and I just pushed a fixed for
the DECRYPTION_KEY regression.

> I'm not sure the right way to fix this.  The simplest way is probably to
> create a trustdb.gpg for the test, but it also seems like gpg --decrypt
> shouldn't fail if the trustdb.gpg file is missing, either.

Justus already explained the things.  My fix simply inhibits the
creation of a trustdb in the DECRYPTION_KEY case and when listing other
keys to which a message was also encrypted,

> It'd be nice if commits wouldn't be merged to master without passing a
> continuous integration check like this as well.  This would have caught

The whole test suite runs pretty long and we plan to add even more
platforms.  Right now we are just a few hackers which can push to the
git.gnupg.org master and in general we notice regression pretty fast.
We rely on seeing each other changes soon.

This time it was carnival, most of us not on duty (Monday was a holiday
for g10 Code people), and I was working on the laptop without an open
tab on our Jenkins.

Of course it would be possible to have a staging branch which pushes to
master nonly after all regression tests have passed.  But that would not
have helped you either to detect that (funny) dup-word-required issue.

Thanks to you and Justus for tracking down the problem I introduced.

Salam-Shalom,