[GpgME] signing w/ protocol CMS -> 'Nich implementiert'?

Albrecht Dreß albrecht.dress at arcor.de
Wed Jul 12 21:23:23 CEST 2017

Hi all,

I develop the crypto functions for a MUA (Balsa) using GpgME and ran into an issue when I try to sign a S/MIME (CMS) message: the function gpgme_op_sign() returns (in German locale) the error "Nich implementiert".  The output of running the application with GPGME_DEBUG=6 is attached.

Decryption and signature verification as well as listing the signer certificates for CMS using GpgME works just fine.

GpgSM and the key are also fine, i.e. I can successfully run 'gpgsm --sign --local-user 0x6F1DDFCA some_file > signature' on the command line.

My system is a 64-bit Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, with gpgme 1.6.0 and gpgsm 2.1.11.

BTW, I implemented these functions years ago, and iirc, S/MIME signing worked fine using GpgME those days (I typically use gpg keys, so I cannot recall when...).

Any insight would be highly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
Albrecht.