Migration gnupg 2.0.x to gnupg 2.1.x

Lukas Pitschl | GPGTools lukele at gpgtools.org
Mon Jul 24 19:45:05 CEST 2017

Hi,

> Not directly but:
> https://git.gnupg.org/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=gnupg.git;a=blob;f=doc/whats-new-in-2.1.txt
>
> Is a good read.

Thanks, I’ve read through this guide before writing to the mailing list, since some information was not included.
We’ve seen some users which couldn’t use gpg after a migration test, because it complained about unknown options,
which is the reason, why I wanted to ask if the removed options are documented somewhere.

@Werner: It would be great if you could add some details here.

>> - Are there any keys which are no longer supported and the user will lose
> access to after migration?
>
> Yes old PGP-2 Keys will no longer work.

Thanks, that shouldn’t affect too many of our users.

>> - How do you handle the migration in gpg4win?
>
> As we use GPGME we don't have much worry. We don't warn about PGP-2 Keys
> because they are not really an issue for us as far as we see it. We mention it
> in the news.
>
> For us the main user facing change is that gpg2 is now called gpg. I still
> have it on my TODO to write a small "Migration guide for administrators" that
> use Batch scripts utilising gpg4win. But there won't be much. Mainly the name
> change, pinentry mode loopback, and a word about the fact that globbing on the
> command line no longer works.
>
> But for most of our users that only use the GUI we don't expect much trouble.
> And so far have not got any "showstopper" issues with our current Betas.

Thanks for this information. It’s great to hear, you didn’t have any big issues with the migration.
We’re really looking forward to finally roll this out.

Best,

Lukas
GPGTools