Non-blocking connect for dirmngr

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Tue Jun 13 15:19:46 CEST 2017

On Thu,  8 Jun 2017 21:55, dkg at fifthhorseman.net said:

> thanks for working on fixing this, Werner!  It's definitely important if
> GnuPG is going to be making these queries.

For whatever reasons, bugs which affecting me get a high priority ;-)

> Another approach could be "happy eyeballs" -- if the name resolves to 2
> IP addresses, connect to both of them concurrently and take the first
> connection that completes.  You wouldn't want to do this if there was a

That would make a bad netizen.  A more acceptable approach would be be
to start a second connection attempt after one or two seconds.  In that
case we can assume that there is a problem with the first address.  Also
randomly selecting from 3 addresses could make sense.

Anyway, such an optimization requires a larger rework and we need to get
2.2 out of the door before we do such things.

Shalom-Salam,