2.1.19 testing failures on the debian build daemons

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Mon Mar 20 16:18:46 CET 2017

On Mon 2017-03-20 05:34:06 -0400, Werner Koch wrote:
> On Sun, 19 Mar 2017 23:48, dkg at fifthhorseman.net said:
>
>> 0 abc123 at testsystem:~$ gpgconf --create-socketdir
>> gpgconf: socketdir is '/home/abc123/.gnupg'
>> gpgconf: 	general error
>
> This is probably a failed stat(2).  That can be expected if the /run
> directy etc does not exits ...
>
> An strace would be very helpful to see exactly what is going wrong.

Attached is an strace of:

  GNUPGHOME=$(mktemp -d) gpgconf --create-socketdir

>>  d) i can configure the GnuPG package to deliberately skip the parts of
>
>    e) We fix how gpgconf is used.  Given that a GNUGHOME is set the
>       regular code to locate the socketdir will use GNUPGHOME which is
>       what we need.  Only gpgconf --create-socketdir is picky about
>       permissions etc. and tells the user this.  I think this is correct
>       behaviour because the user requested to create a socketdir.

Thanks for this suggestion!  I'm hoping that the test suite would work
in either situation:

 a) where the build path is short enough, or
 b) where /run/user/$(id -u) is present and writable

and only fail when both conditions are not met.

I've tested it in a situation where the build path is insanely long, but
where /run/user/$(id -u) is available, and the test suite completes
fine.

So it's just the other way around that causes the tests to fail.  can
you suggest a patch?

thanks for the followup,

    --dkg