[communication] 2.1.21 officially "stable"

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Tue May 16 13:00:55 CEST 2017

On Tue, 16 May 2017 09:09, bernhard at intevation.de said:

> As this declaration of 2.1.x as stable with 2.1.21 was implicit with a
> (to me) silent change on the webpage and the announcement.  Can you
> elaborate more on the communication strategy?

As long as we don't have a new development branch it does not make much
sense to distinguish between a stable an unstable branch.  I started to
mention the other branches less and less for a couple of months now.
The reason for this is that 2.0 will reach EOL in less than 7 months and
we need to prepare the users to switch to the main version.

We will do a *stable 2.2 branch* when we think it is time to start
working on new features.

> What does that mean for the version numbering scheme of GnuPG
> and the release planning? Is 2.1 not an "experimental" minor release line

It has never been marked as experimental but as modern ;-)

Salam-Shalom,