dirmngr logging confusion when trying to connect to a local keyserver (more reverse DNS?)

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Mon Nov 13 15:17:49 CET 2017

On Thu,  9 Nov 2017 22:29, dkg at fifthhorseman.net said:

>    2017-10-01 06:17:00 dirmngr[32208.6] DBG: dns: resolve_dns_name(127.0.0.1): Success
>    2017-10-01 06:17:00 dirmngr[32208.6] can't connect to '127.0.0.1': no IP address for host

Maybe a missing localhost entry in /etc/hosts?  I can imagine that our
libdns.c does not have a hardwired  name for localhost.  That would be
easy to fix.

The problem with libdns.c is that Justus and me tried hard to get our
fixes upstream but never got any reply from the original author except
for one message that he will look at them.  Meanwhile I think it might
be better to giveup on trying to get it upstream and keep on fixing
problems ourself - which would include better documentaion of the code.

> Also, why is dirmngr trying to look up names for addresses? i don't know
> whether "resolve_dns_name" is A/AAAA lookup and "resolve_dns_addr" is

So that we can return and store the hostname with a key.

Shalom-Salam,