RFC: retry keyservers witout SRV

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Wed Nov 29 09:53:10 CET 2017

On Tue, 28 Nov 2017 22:41, mcgrof at kernel.org said:

> Thanks, what sort of documentation exists where this is stated other than
> in actual code?

There is no real documentation for keyservers.  Howerver SRV records are
in use for ages and that makes them a part of the specification.

>> we may use it to debug problems with SRV records.  The "debug" prefix
>> would also clearly mark this as a non-standard option.
>
> Given the above this makes perfect sense.

I will consider that.

> Sure, but given my little survey it would seem many more devices are affected,
> so it does not seem to just be a one-off router, essentially completely disabling
> PGP without any warning what so ever to the user about the reason for

Given your description won't also not be able to use any XMPP service.
In XMPP the use of SRV records is specified in the RFCs and many sites
won't work without them.  In case XMPP works for you - how does your
gateway behave in this case?

Salam-Shalom,