GnuPG 2.2 - Comments in gpg.conf

Lukas Pitschl | GPGTools lukele at gpgtools.org
Wed Sep 27 02:00:58 CEST 2017

Hi all,

today a case was reported to us, where calling different gpg commands to sign or list keys only printed the following lines and exited after that:

hostname:~ username$ gpg --list-secret-keys
gpg: '0x7293626A6BF781D1  # astephens' ist keine gültige lange Schlüssel-ID
gpg: '0xFBE2D12AFC23DAE1  # cestel' ist keine gültige lange Schlüssel-ID

The following 2 lines in gpg.conf where causing this issue:
trusted-key 0x7293626A6BF781D1  # astephens
trusted-key 0xFBE2D12AFC23DAE1  # cestel

Upon further inspection it appears that gpg.conf doesn’t allow comments at the end of options.
Since the upgrade to GnuPG 2.2 triggered this problem for our user, I assume they weren’t seeing the same when still using GnuPG 2.0.X
I was wondering if this is a bug, or if this is expected behavior in GnuPG 2.2

Best,

Lukas
GPGTools