pinentry's new window titles could be more (less?) informative

Lukas Pitschl | GPGTools lukele at gpgtools.org
Thu Sep 28 21:04:40 CEST 2017

I would like to add here, that while I agree with Robert, that most users probably
ignore the dialog and simply enter the passphrase, I also believe that what Peter says
does make a lot of sense.

We would really love to see a more descriptive pinentry and have been planning in
the past, to add some context to it, based on the application it is used in.

For example, if I’m about to decrypt a message, switch to a different window and
a pinentry passphrase request comes up, I would like to see the purpose of it clearly explained.

Example:
Please enter passphrase to decrypt message „SUBJECT“ from „FROM"

In addition it should be possible to display the icon of the application requiring access to your secret key.

I also agree with Peter here that this is much more about providing the necessary context
for a passphrase request, rather than being a security feature.

Best,

Lukas
GPGTools