installing gnupg 2.2 as "gpg", vs coexistence with gpg 1.4

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Fri Sep 29 10:53:17 CEST 2017

On Fri, 29 Sep 2017 06:25, dkg at fifthhorseman.net said:

> holdouts who actually need gpg1 (i.e. folks with legacy PGPv3 keys that
> need to decrypt old/archived messages, i can't really think of another

A few days ago someone (with a long pgp and gpg history) accidentally
sent me an encrypted mail to my old (expired) key from 1995.  I had to
use gpg1 to decrypt it.

Should I ever find a DAT drive for my old backup tapes I might want to
decrypt mails from that area.  There is also the case for historians who
want to dive into the 90ies.

> two versions concurrently.  But in the long term, Debian will evenutally
> drop gpg1 as well.  People should move on.

Agreed, but I will try to keep on maintaining gpg1 at least for
decryption.  The next 1.4 release will likely install gpg 1.4 as gpg1,
though.  Maybe keyserver support will also be removed because that is
not needed for decryption.  I am not sure what to do with translations,
but keeping them is not that expensive.

Salam-Shalom,