Error after building gnupg head on Debian Buster at HEAD

Kyle Butt kyle at iteratee.net
Mon Apr 2 20:23:29 CEST 2018

This is the error that I'm getting:

agent/gpg-agent: relocation error: agent/gpg-agent: symbol
assuan_sock_set_system_hooks version LIBASSUAN_1.0 not defined in file
libassuan.so.0 with link time reference

the libassuan is built from source and installed in prefix=$HOME

the configure is invoked as follows:
./configure --sysconfdir=/etc --enable-maintainer-mode
--with-libgcrypt-prefix=/home/kyle --with-libgpg-error-prefix=/home/kyle
--with-libassuan-prefix=/home/kyle --with-ksba-prefix=/home/kyle
--prefix=/home/kyle

The error occurs when I build from master with a clean repository.

I get the same error whether I build LIBASSUAN from source, or from the
latest HEAD.

Any pointers would be appreciated.