WKD v05: DNS problem when requesting pubkey

Ben McGinnes ben at adversary.org
Fri Apr 6 21:49:22 CEST 2018

On Thu, Apr 05, 2018 at 12:02:52PM +0200, Bernhard Reiter wrote:

> However according to my research, code running inside  a webbrowser - either
> from a webpage or as extension - **cannot do a DNS request** on its own.

Correct.

This is because JavaScript wouldn't know a networking stack if it
tripped over it.

JS is comnpletely oblivious to even the concept of what a network is
and any code you've see that suggests otherwise is solely reflecting
the mindset of the author, not the implementation of the scripting
language.

This is why it's always deployed on something else that does the heavy
lifting with regards to transport; usually web servers and browsers.

The only way around it will be both some kind of kludge and a means by
which the browser's sandboxing will need to be circumvented, either in
whole or in part.  When JavaScript is involved it's simply a matter of
picking the least worst work-around.  There are no best solutions.

Why do you think systems and networks admins hate the damned thing and
have a tendency to sneer at web developers?  This right here, is
scratching the surface of why.

Anyway, probably the most portable way would be to find a means of
tricking the browser into doing the work, then it'd (usually) palm the
task off to the OS natively.  The means may vary between browsers and
some of those may be of reduced effectiveness on other devices.

Regards,
Ben