WKD v05: DNS problem when requesting pubkey

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Mon Apr 9 09:20:38 CEST 2018

Am Freitag 06 April 2018 16:16:11 schrieb Werner Koch:
> SRV records have nothing to do with http but are required for certain
> other services.  Web browser do all kind of stuff meanwhile and thus I
> see no reason not to allow access - for extension - to do a bit more
> than AAAA and CNAME queries.

Well, yes, they could do that and offer an API.
But right now they do not and reading up on their issue trackers:
it is unlikely they'll do so in the foreseeable future.

> > For understandable reasons the do not implement general networking
> > as it would violate their security model around the same origin policy.
>
> Now, that is a pretty lame excuse.

To be fair, that was my understanding of the situation why browsers do not
allow direct access to a TCP or UDP connection and subsequently a reason why
someone cannot just go and implement a DNS resolver in javascript to be used
in the browser.

Best,
Bernhard