GnuPG 2.2 on elder Debian & Ubuntu distros

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Tue Apr 17 09:25:28 CEST 2018

Am Dienstag 17 April 2018 00:42:13 schrieb Daniel Kahn Gillmor:
> On Mon 2018-04-16 12:28:48 -0400, Phil Pennock wrote:
> > Text added to <https://public-packages.pennock.tech/>:
> >
> >   Users of systemd will have to weigh their options carefully, and
> >   consider editing /usr/lib/systemd/user/gpg-agent.service to change the
> >   paths to the binaries, then run systemctl daemon-reload and log out
> >   and back in again, otherwise gpg will launch the wrong gpg-agent.

Phil,
thanks for analysis and improvement of instructions. Works here.

> please don't encourage anyone to edit /usr/lib/systemd/user/* by hand.
> use the override mechanism as described in the "Example 2. Overriding
> vendor settings" section in systemd.unit(5), or in the "edit" section of
> systemctl(1).

Daniel,
thanks for the pointer. Is there a way to override this systemd
setting as user? As least systemd starts something for a users and this user
may want to have this changed.

Otherwise someone who wants to run a different GnuPG will have to build their
own packages and patch them to use a different socket under user control.
(This would be the solution for packages like Phil's I guess.)

And it seems to be a bug in the original Debian package 2.1.18-8~deb9u1 (as
'--agent-program FILE' is not honored anymore (which stands in contrast to the
documentation in info gnupg).

Best Regards,
Bernhard