GnuPG 2.2 on elder Debian & Ubuntu distros

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Tue Apr 17 21:04:26 CEST 2018

Am Dienstag, 17. April 2018, 19:32:00 CEST schrieb Phil Pennock:
> > thanks for the pointer. Is there a way to override this systemd
> > setting as user?

> Yes, that's exactly what is described in the documentation which Daniel
> linked to.

I skimmed the sections he mentioned and
had missed the part referring to the paths.

> > And it seems to be a bug in the original Debian package 2.1.18-8~deb9u1
> > (as
> > '--agent-program FILE' is not honored anymore (which stands in contrast to
> > the documentation in info gnupg).
>
> It's more of a problem of the interaction between systemd socket
> activation and GnuPG configuration: two things trying to achieve the
> same ends, via different methods.

The defect is in the original package (indepentently to Phil's opt-gnupg).
What advantage has starting via  systemd socket, as gpg also starts an agent,
if necessary?

> Bernhard: the documentation on the website for my packages now has
> correct information for safely overriding these settings

I've tried configurating this for one user and it worked, thanks again.
Best,
Bernhard